“New African Magazine” has revealed its 100 most influential Africans of 2017 and Nigeria was very well represented.
The magazine profiles people living in the continent and the African diaspora, nominated by their peers and industry insiders.
The list is spread over nine categories: politics and public service; business and finance; civil society and activism; education; science, technology and innovation; media; arts and culture; and sport.
With 21 entries, Nigeria tops the nominations, closely followed by South Africa with 14 nominations.
“Our criteria for ‘influential’ this year was a fairly simple one – it is applied to people whose work or activity has had some sort of transformative effect outside their main calling,” explained Anver Versi, the magazine’s editor.
Here are the 23 most influential people in Nigeria 2017:
1. Amina J Mohammed – UN Deputy Secretary General. (Nigeria)
2. Yemi Osinbajo – Vice President (Nigeria)
3. Akinwumi Adesina – President Africa Development Bank; Winner – World Food Prize 2017 (Nigeria)
4. Bola Tinubu – Former Lagos State Governor (Nigeria)
5. Aliko Dangote – Successful business mogul, Africa’s richest man and also richest black man in earth (Nigeria)
6. Dr. Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu – Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Nigeria)
7. Dr Fatima Akilu – Psychologists and founder Neem Tree Foundation Rehabilitating Boko Haram victims (Nigeria)
8. Ikponwosa Ero – UN’s Human Rights Council Independent Expert on the Enjoyment of Human Rights by Persons with Albinism. (Nigeria)
9. Anne-Marie Imafidon – Child progidy, co-founder of Stemettes for young women in science and tech (Nigeria/UK)
10. Iyinoluwa ‘E’ Aboyeji – Founder, Flutterwave (Nigeria)
11. Jelani Aliyu – Designer of GM’s electric Chevrolet Volt car, now new Director General of Nigeria’s National Automotive Design and Development Council (Nigerian)
12. Tom Ilube – Tech entrepreneur and Educationist (Nigeria/UK)
13. Adedoyin Adepitan – Intrepid Paralympian and TV presenter (Nigeria/UK)
15. Roye Okupe – Founder YouNeek Studios – which creates African comic books and superheroes (Nigeria)
16. Njideka Akunyili Crosby – Visual Artist (Nigeria)
17. WizKid – Award-winning Afrobeat sensation Also Made the List of The Most Influential People in Nigeria 2017 (Nigeria)
18. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – Author, Feminist and Global Icon (Nigeria)
19. Anthony Joshua – the affable Boxing heavyweight Champ – (Nigeria/UK)
20. Eniola Aluko – the football star who stood up and exposed a racism in the English FA (Nigeria/UK)
21. Asisat Oshoala – Women’s football royalty – (Nigeria)
So, there you have it. Now you know the 21 most influential people in Nigeria 2017
AD: Get a website today.. No advance payment needed. Website | Whatsapp | Call