Kenya has banned all major public events after confirming its first case of the new coronavirus in a woman who had returned to the country from the United States, the health minister said on Friday.
Kenya, the richest economy in sub-Saharan Africa and a major hub for global firms and the United Nations , is the 11th country in the region to confirm a case of COVID-19, bringing its total reported cases to 39.
Mutahi Kagwe, Kenya’s health minister, told a news conference the government had suspended all public gatherings, sporting events, open-air religious meetings and “all events that are of a huge public nature”.
He said schools would remain open but all inter-school events would be suspended.
Mutahi Kagwe, CS Health: All public gatherings meetings, games, events, church crusades have been suspended. Churches can have services as long as they have sanitizer. Schools to remain open but inter school games are cancelled pic.twitter.com/KbaLQdT3Xn
— Citizen TV Kenya (@citizentvkenya) March 13, 2020
Kagwe said the patient had been diagnosed at the government’s national influenza centre laboratory on the evening of March 12, after travelling home via London on March 5.
The 27-year-old Kenyan is stable and her temperature has gone to down to normal, the minister said.
“She cannot be released … until she gets negative.”
The government has traced most of the people she has been in contact with, including fellow passengers on the flight home, and a government response team will monitor their temperatures for the next two weeks.
The reported cases in sub-Saharan Africa have mainly been in foreigners or locals who had travelled abroad, but concerns are growing about the continent’s ability to handle a potential rapid spread of a virus that has infected over 128,000 and killed more than 4,700 worldwide.
Join the conversation.. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter So you don't miss out on our posts. You can also Subscribe to receive daily updates.