Mycoplasma Genitalium: Things To Know About The New Sexually Transmitted Disease
With 15-24 year olds accounting for half of all new Sexually transmitted Diseases it has become imperative to provide information about the newly discovered sexually transmitted diseases and its implications for the sexually active Nigerians.
The new sexually transmitted disease
“Mycoplasma Genitalium” was a little unknown until recently when British Scientists uncovered its pinks to some sexual conditions.
Mycoplasma genitalium is one of the most common micro-organisms associated with genital tract infections.
The infection has several clinical features consistent with sexual transmission, including higher detection among sexually active individuals compared to sexually naive adolescents, detection in partners of infected individuals, and predominance in younger individuals with multiple sexual partners and men who have sex with men (particularly those infected with HIV).
Several studies that had identified Mycoplasma as a STI have showed statistically significant increased rates of infection among sexually active women, with rate/risk of infection increasing with 2 or more sexual partners.
Implications of contracting Mycoplasma genitalium infection
1. It can significantly affect the ability of the infected individual to have children.
2. It complicate and increase the severity of the symptoms of HIV and other viral infections.
3. The can lead to the development of ovarian cancers, lymphomas and prostate cancer.
4. The infection can lead to pre-term birth and spontaneous abortion.
Prevention of sexually transmitted diseases
The most effective means of preventing sexually transmitted disease is abstinence from sex or faithfulness to a faithful sexual partner. Unprotected sex increase the risk of contracting venereal diseases (vd).
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- Acording to this Study, Pollution is One Of The Great Killers Of Our Age - October 20, 2017
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Countries In Africa 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Toughest African Countries For Girls To Get an Education - October 20, 2017