Incurable ‘Super Gonorrhoea’ On The Rise, Spread by Oral Sex
Gonorrhea was once easily treated with a quick dose of antibiotics. But, like all bacterial infections, strains have evolved that can evade the mechanisms used by antibiotics and now WHO says this new strain of gonorrhea infecting patients all over the world is not treatable by the current means, which is penicillin.
“Every time we use a new class of antibiotics to treat the infection, the bacteria evolve to resist them,”… WHO’s Dr. Teodora Wi.
According to experts, this new antibiotic-resistant strain developed through a mistreatment of gonorrhea bacteria left in the throat after oral sex. Apparently Gonorrhea in the throat often looks like sore throat, so doctors prescribe standard antibiotics, which then mix with the bacteria, creating antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea aka super gonorrhea.
This super-gonorrhoea is untreatable, for now. So everyone needs to be more careful.
The STD Called Gonorrhea
The sexually transmitted infection, which can affect the genitals, rectum and throat, is the most commonly reported STD in Africa — reported by more than 1,000,000 patients each year — many people are initially unaware they are infected.
According to the experts, symptoms in men include:
- A burning sensation when urinating
- A white, yellow, or green discharge from the penis
- Painful or swollen testicles.
Most women with gonorrhea do not have any symptoms. But they can include:
- Painful or burning sensation when urinating.
- Increased vaginal discharge.
- Vaginal bleeding between periods.
If Left untreated, gonorrhea can cause burning during urination, discharge, inflammation, and fertility problems in women. It can also increase the risk of HIV.
How Gonorrhea is Spread
You can get gonorrhea by having vaginal, anal, or oral sex with someone who has gonorrhea. A pregnant woman with gonorrhea can give the infection to her baby during childbirth.
Prevention is Better Than Cure
Health experts recommend safe sex with condoms, communication with partners, frequent testing, and the one highly recommended to us by our parents, abstinence.
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- Nigeria Among World Top 10 Worst Countries With Access To Basic Sanitation - November 22, 2017
- Top 10 Highest Paid Female Musicians In 2017 – Forbes - November 21, 2017
- Nigeria Ranked 35 out of 54 African Countries in Overall Governance -IIAG - November 21, 2017