13 Horrifying Facts About Africa That You’d Hate To Know, But You Should
Although Africa is blessed, things just don’t seem to want to go right for us, there are just so many horrifying facts about Africa that someone can’t just help but ask the question.. ‘where did we go wrong’. Below are 13 horrifying facts about Africa that you’d hate to know, but you should.
1. Every year more than 170,000 migrants try to go Europe through Libya by boat, And of the 170,000 almost ,000 people will die while trying to make this crossing.
2. The whole of Africa uses less than 3% of the world’s energy, despite having 15% of the world’s population. (The United States alone uses about 19%)
Because of the poor power supply, about 30% of health centres and over a third of primary schools in Africa have to function with no electricity at all.
3. Currently about 391,500,000 people in Sub-Saharan Africa live in poverty, -many even live below $1.50 a day- that’s about 45% of the entire population.
4. The African continent is the most ravaged by Malaria.. There were an estimated 214 million cases of malaria worldwide in 2015, and an estimated 438,000 deaths. Approximately 90% of all malaria deaths occur in Africa, this probably can be referred to as the most horrifying fact in Africa.
5. Millions of Africans live their life Without Access To Safe Drinking Water. Or aces to good health clinics.
6. Of all people living with HIV in the world more than 78% are in Africa; Also out of the 34 million HIV-positive infected people in Africa, 69% live in sub-Saharan Africa.
7. In Some parts of Africa, South Africa especially, hiv positive adults rape young girls and children some as young as even five-years-old in the hope of curing their HIV.
***There is a belief in South Africa that having sex with a virgin will cure HIV/AIDS.
8. Measles, Malaria and Diarrhea (MMD) are three of the biggest killers of children in Africa and yet all are preventable or can be treated with access to simple, affordable interventions.
9. As an Albino the worst place you can be is in Africa, Southern Africa especially..
Because of the wide-spread belief that albino parts are the best ingredients for making potent charms, Albinos are hunted down and slaughtered for parts
10. Africa has 10% of the world’s oil reserves, 40% of its gold, 80-90% of its chromium and platinum group metals. In addition, Africa has 60% of the world’s uncultivated arable land – Yet Africa is still the most poorest continent.
In the last decade, more than 2 million children have died as a direct result of armed conflict.
11. Children in sub-Saharan Africa are more likely to be labelled a witch and casted out into the streets before the age of 5 than children in anywhere else in the world.
12. Since time immemorial the African continent has always been less prepared than any other to deal with any sort of outbreak whatsoever, and always have to depend on foreign aids whenever an outbreak occur.
13. In 2015, the risk of a child dying before reaching his or her 1st birthday was highest in Africa, 55 per 1,000 live births, which is more than five times higher than in Europe, which has a rate of 10 deaths per 1,000 live births (WHO).
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- Top 10 Most Powerful Countries in Africa, 2018 - February 17, 2018
- Top 10 Countries with The Richest History, Egypt Ranked No 1 - February 17, 2018
- Top 10 Best Universities In Africa, 2018 - February 16, 2018