White Wedding: 7 Things You Might Want To Know
Worldwide, the color white has been associated with weddings.
But do you know why?
Here are 7 things you might want to know about white weddings.
1. The white wedding is a traditional formal or semi-formal wedding originating in Britain.
2. The term originates from the white colour of the wedding dress, which first became popular with Victorian era elites after Queen Victoria wore a white lace dress at her wedding.
3. The tradition of a white wedding dress is commonly credited to Queen Victoria’s choice to wear a white court dress at her wedding to Prince Albert in 1840.
4. Prior to victorias wedding, European and American wedding gowns were designed with colors such as blue, yellow, and practical colours like black, brown, or gray.
5. As accounts of Victoria’s white wedding spread across the Atlantic and throughout Europe, elites followed her lead, and then eventually even the not so elite.
6. By the end of the 19th century the white dress was the garment of choice for elite brides on both sides of the Atlantic. However, middle-class British and American brides did not adopt the trend fully until after World War II .
7. White gowns were favored primarily as a way to show the world that the bride’s family was so wealthy. Mostly because of the fact that they were hard to wash and could be easily ruined.
8. The portrayal of weddings in Hollywood movies, particularly immediately after World War II, helped crystallize and homogenize the white wedding into a normative form.
9. The white wedding style was given another significant boost in 1981, when three-quarter billion people watched Charles, Prince of Wales marry Diana Spencer in her elaborate white wedding dress.
This wedding is generally considered the most influential white wedding of the 20th century.
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- Acording to this Study, Pollution is One Of The Great Killers Of Our Age - October 20, 2017
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Countries In Africa 2017 - October 20, 2017
- Toughest African Countries For Girls To Get an Education - October 20, 2017