6 Reasons Why A Good Sleep is Important
A good sleep most especially a good night’s sleep is incredibly important for our health, as important as eating healthy and exercising.
Unfortunately, Nigerians are now sleeping less than they did in the past. And its very is bad. You want to know how bad? read on.
1. Sleep Affects Emotions and Social Interactions
Researchers believe that poor sleep affects our ability to recognize important social cues and process emotional information.
One study even found that people who had not slept had a reduced ability to recognize expressions of anger and happiness.
2. A Good Sleep Improves Your Immune Function
Even a small loss of sleep has been shown to impair immune function.
So to keep your immune function in check it is advisable to get atleast 9 hours of sleep per night.
3. Poor Sleep is Linked to Depression
This is a fact, Mental health issues, such as depression, are strongly linked to poor sleep quality and sleeping disorders.
It has been estimated that 90% of patients suffering from depression complain about sleep quality.
4. Sleep Affects Blood Sugar
Sleep restriction affects blood sugar and reduces insulin sensitivity.
Poor sleep habits are also strongly linked to adverse effects on blood sugar in the general population.
Those sleeping less than 6 hours per night have repeatedly been shown to be at an increased risk for type 2 diabetes.
5. Poor Sleepers Have a Greater Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke
Sleep quality and duration can have a major effect on many risk factors.
These are the factors believed to drive chronic diseases, including heart disease, stroke etc.
Short sleepers are at far greater risk of heart disease or stroke than those who sleep 7 to 8 hours per night.
6. A Good Sleep is important for various aspects of brain function.
This includes cognition, concentration, productivity and performance
All of these are negatively affected by sleep deprivation.
Studies have shown that short sleep can negatively impact some aspects of brain function to a similar degree as alcohol intoxication.
Good sleep, on the other hand, has been shown to improve problem solving skills and enhance memory.
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- This New Study Suggests Women Use Their Brains Alot More Than Men - September 17, 2017
- How Christianity Was Used to Exploit Africans - September 16, 2017
- Everyday Foods That Are Linked To Higher Intelligence - September 15, 2017
Get Rid Of Boredom
Subscribe to New Posts via EmailYou can also receive Sms notifications of new posts directly to your phone by clicking here