Forbes Snubs Nigeria in its 2016 Annual Person of the Year Award
Forbes Africa has opened nominations for its annual ‘‘Person of the Year’‘ (POY) award, and for the first time since its conception, no Nigerian was nominated.
There are two African presidents on the nominees list, two South Africans also make the list with an African country completing the list.
Here are the Five Nominees
1. Tanzanian President John Pombe Magufuli – Forbes justified his nomination saying, ‘‘This Tanzanian president has had a significant hand in boosting the nation’s economy.’‘ Magufuli is nicknamed the ‘‘bulldozer’‘ for his strict approach to governance.
2. Ameenah Gurib, Mauritian president – ‘‘who is spearheading the drive to protect her nation’s environment,” Forbes wrote.
3. Thuli Madonsela ‘South Africa’s immediate past anti-corruption chief’, – Forbes also justified the nomination by saying that they noted how she “faced death threats in her quest to bring inconsistencies to the fore.”
4. South African businessman, Michiel le Roux, founder of Capitec Bank – “who has made banking more accessible for South Africans.”
5. The people of Rwanda were also nominated for the ‘Person of the Year’‘ award. Forbes emphasized the strides and reforms the country has undertaken in recent years citing particularly the issues of gender equality.
Voting has been open and the final event is expected to be held on November 17.
PAST WINNERS OF FORBES POY AWARDS
The first winner of Forbes POY award was former Nigeria central bank governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, now Muhammad Sanusi II, emir of Kano.
2012 winner – James Mwangi, CEO of Equity Bank, Kenya
2013 winner – Akinwumi Adesina, the then Minister of Agriculture in Nigeria, now head of the African Development Bank.
2014 – Aliko Dangote, Chairman and CEO of the Dangote Group, Nigeria.
2015 – Mohammed Dewji, CEO of MeTL Group, Tanzania
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- 5 African Leaders Who Died Horribly Unfortunate Deaths - January 18, 2018
- Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities In Africa 2018 - January 18, 2018
- Top 10 Richest Presidents In US History - January 17, 2018