Top 7 African Countries With The Highest Internet Users
The number of Internet users in Africa is growing at a faster pace than the rest of the world. And yet the continent still have a long way to go. Here are the top 7 african countries with the highest internet users.
The Internet usage numbers come mainly from data published by WWW , ITU , the Nielsen Company, Facebook, and other trustworthy sources.
7. ALGERIA (11,000,000 approx.)
Over the past decade, the number of Internet users in Algeria has greatly increased, from 150,000 users in 2006 to approximately 5,230,000 in 2012 and 11,000,000 in 2016.
6. UGANDA (12,000,000 approx.)
Internet started in Uganda back in April 1993, and By October 1995, several organizations were already offering internet connectivity. Internet users back then was in the 100’s.
5. MOROCCO (20,500,000 approx.)
Research universities led the development of the internet in Morocco from the early 1990s, with internet access extended to the general public in 1996.
4. SOUTH AFRICA (27,000,000 approx.)
Though The internet was introduced in 1988 in south africa, commercial Internet access for businesses and private use began in June 1992.
3. KENYA (32,000,000 approx.)
The internet was introduced in Kenya in 1993, and the first commercial internet service provider (ISP) began operating in 1995.
Kenya is now one of Africa’s fastest growing internet markets.
2. EGYPT (48,300,000 approx.)
Internet started in Egypt in 1993 with a cable connection to France of a 9.6 kbps bandwidth to the Egyptian Universities Network (EUN) and the Cabinet Information & Decision Support Center (IDSC). The number of users at that time was estimated to be between 2000 and 3000.
1. NIGERIA (93,000,000 approx.)
The first attempt at introducing Internet in Nigeria was made through the UNESCO sponsored RINAF project in 1995, but it later became a reality in the late 90’s.
Being The most populous country in africa, its no surprise that they are now have the highest internet users.
Latest posts by Anele (see all)
- Nigeria Remains Country With The Highest Smartphone Penetration In The World - September 21, 2017
- Nigerian lawyer Receives Top United Nations Award - September 19, 2017
- Lesotho Becomes the First Nation In Africa to Grant a Legal Licence for Growing Marijuana - September 19, 2017
Get Rid Of Boredom
Subscribe to New Posts via EmailYou can also receive Sms notifications of new posts directly to your phone by clicking here